TV: TiVo® FAQs
Your Multi-Room TiVo® from Grande is smart, but we understand you may have questions as you discover a new world of endless entertainment possibilities.
We have provided frequently asked questions to get you viewing, searching, recording, listening, streaming or whatever your heart desires as you say hello to Multi-Room TiVo from Grande.
How do I know if the TiVo Premiere Q (Multi-Room TiVo) from Grande is right for me?
If you have multiple TV's in your home, then TiVo Premiere Q (Multi-Room TiVo) sounds like the perfect solution for your home. If you have just one TV in your home, then TiVo Premiere should meet your needs.
What is TiVo Premiere Q (Multi-Room TiVo)?
Multi-Room TiVo brings the joy of TiVo to every TV and makes it easy to record shows and watch them anywhere in your home. Multi-Room TiVo requires a TiVo Premiere Q to record your shows and a TiVo Mini to watch your recorded shows on different TV's in any room in your home. For example, the TiVo Premiere Q might be connected to the TV in your family room while the TiVo Mini is connected to TV's in your home office, bedroom and guest room.
What can you do with TiVo Premiere Q (Multi-Room TiVo)?
The question should be "What can't you do?" The possibilities are endless but we will introduce a few of our favorite features:
- When you have multiple TV's in your home, Multi-Room TiVo makes it easy to record and manage shows with your TiVo Premiere Q and watch them on every TV with a TiVo Mini in your home.
- Record up to 70 hours of HD programming.
- Find shows with exclusive TiVo features like Search, WishList® searches, Season Pass® recordings and more.
- Access Live TV, Grande's On Demand library, YouTube™ web videos, Amazon Instant Video and more. (Note: Grande On Demand not available in Dallas).
- Record four shows at once.
- Watch recorded shows on your other TiVo's in the house with Multi-Room viewing. You can schedule and manage recordings on your TiVo Premiere Q (Multi-Room TiVo) and watch them on the TV connected to that device or any TiVo Mini you have connected to other TV's in your home.
- Take your recordings with you by transferring to your tablet, smartphone or laptop. (Requires additional software available at additional fee)
- Stream your recorded shows from your TiVo Premiere Q (Multi-Room TiVo) to your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch, using a TiVo Stream (Stream device monthly rental required).
- Take your recordings with you by transferring to your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch, using a TiVo Stream (Stream device rental required).
- Listen to your Internet radio stations on Pandora®, Live 365, Podcaster and Rhapsody and enjoy hundreds of free music channels on the best speakers in your house.
- Display personal photos from applications like Picasa or Photobucket on your PC, laptop or Mac directly on your TV with TiVo Desktop.
- Schedule your TiVo device from anywhere on your tablet, smartphone or laptop with our online and mobile applications.
- Download free TiVo® App for iPad® and iPhone® or Android Phones and uncover a new experience in browsing, searching and managing your TiVo Premiere Q (Multi-Room TiVo).
- Play free games such as Kaboom, Quizmaster, Rockswap or Blackjack.
If I have TiVo Premiere Q (Multi-Room TiVo), do all the TiVo devices have the same features?
When you have Multi-Room TiVo from Grande, you will have a TiVo Premiere Q on the main TV in your home and all other TV's will have a TiVo Mini. The TiVo Premiere Q provides the full DVR capability while the TiVo Mini provides much of the same TiVo experience; access Live TV, Grande On Demand (except in Dallas where it is not available), easily find shows with TiVo Search and Browse, watch recorded shows from your TiVo Premiere Q, listen to Internet radio stations on Pandora®, Live 365, Podcaster and Rhapsody and display photo slideshows from Internet services like Photobucket and Picasa.
What do I need to get TiVo Service from Grande?
To sign up for TiVo you need TV service and Starter Internet service or higher from Grande.
Why do I need Grande Internet service?
Our unique features rely on delivering entertainment across Live TV, Grande On Demand and the web. We like to say it's the fusion of TV and the web, right on your TV. To deliver on this promise, we need to provide your fast, reliable and secure Internet connection with Starter Internet or higher. This enables us to guarantee quality and resolve any technical difficulties that may impact your TiVo experience.
Features and Benefits
Can I get Grande On Demand with my TiVo Service?
Yes! Grande On Demand works great with TiVo. Easily search, browse and find the shows you love. (Note: Grande On Demand not available in Dallas).
What features are available?
So many features*, so many possibilities to explore:
- One search finds TV shows and movies across Live TV, Grande On Demand, YouTube™ and Amazon Instant Video. (Note: Grande On Demand not available in Dallas).
- Browse by TV and movie posters to easily find something you want to watch or record.
- Find shows based on topical collections, event-driven, seasonal, new or popular. Just let your TiVo know what you find interesting and it will find it for you.
- Discover new movies and shows that you might be interested in with features like the Discovery Bar and TiVo Suggestions.
- When you have Multi-Room TiVo you can record your shows on your TiVo Premiere Q and watch them on any TiVo Mini you have connected to a TV in any room in your home.
- Add a TiVo Stream, and watch live or recorded shows on your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch.
- Use our online tools to schedule your TiVo from anywhere.
- With WishList® searches, look for an actor, keyword or category, select "Auto-Record" and then every time a shows matching your criteria airs, it will record.
- Set up Season Pass® recording for all the shows you love, and your TiVo Premiere Q (Multi-Room TiVo) will record them whenever they air, even if they change time slots.
- Your TiVo tracks your "Thumbs Up" and "Thumbs Down" preferences to learn your likes and dislikes and delivers recommendations tailored just for you.
- Watch YouTube™ web videos and Amazon Instant Video right on your TV.
- Access your Pandora®, Live 365, Podcaster or Rhapsody Internet radio stations, podcasts and more.
- With TiVo Desktop, display your photo library from your PC, Mac or laptop on the biggest screen in your house.
- Download the free TiVo App for iPad®, iPhone® or Android Phones and discover a new way to browse, discover and share the TV you love.
- Play a variety of free games such as Kaboom, Quizmaster, Rockswap and Blackjack.
How many shows can I record at once?
You can record four shows at the same time on a TiVo Premiere Q (Multi-Room TiVo) and two shows on a TiVo Premiere.
Can I have multi-room viewing on all the TiVo's in my home?
With TiVo Premiere Q (Multi-Room TiVo) you can absolutely watch and record shows on your TiVo Premiere Q, while also watching your recorded shows on each TiVo Mini connected to a TV in your home. You can have up to 10 TiVo's on one Grande account.
I already own a TiVo Premiere. Can I link my current TiVo Premiere to a Grande TiVo?
Yes. If you have purchased a TiVo Premiere at a retail store, you may set it up to receive Grande TV services by installing a CableCard from Grande, however interactive features such as On Demand are not available. You must register both TiVo's using the same email address. You can use this TiVo account to link your retail TiVo to your Grande TiVo and share shows between the two TiVo's. See below for differences between the services delivered by a TiVo Premiere purchased at a retail store and a TiVo from Grande.
What is the difference between TiVo Premiere from Grande and the TiVo Premiere that I can get at any electronics retail store?
TiVo Premiere from Grande combines all the great things that the retail TiVo can do, along with the Grande products and services you need to bring TiVo Premiere to life. You easily search, browse and find shows on Live TV, Grande On Demand, YouTube™ and Amazon Instant Video.
There is also a difference in cost. With TiVo Premiere from Grande, you rent the TiVo device for a low monthly cost. TiVo Premiere from a retail store has an upfront cost of about $100 plus a monthly fee.
When it comes to service, we are right here in Texas, so you'll always get the answers you need from someone nearby who cares. And should you need assistance with set-up, wireless home networking and installation, our Local Technical Support is here to support you.
Why can't I use Netflix or Hulu Plus on my TiVo from Grande?
Contractual issues between the studios and Netflix and Hulu impede our ability to offer these features. We value these features as much as our customers and will let you know if they ever become available.
How many hours of programming can I record?
With your TiVo Premiere Q (Multi-Room TiVo) you can record up to 70 hours of HD programming, or up to 600 hours of standard-definition programming.
I have access to web video but why can't I search the Internet?
TiVo has an integrated search capability that finds TV shows and movies across Live TV, Grande On Demand, YouTube™ web video's, Amazon Instant Video, and delivers personalized programs specifically for you. It is not designed to search the entire Internet.
Do I need a HD (high definition) TV in order to use a TiVo?
You can connect to both HD and standard definition TV's.
Do I need any other hardware?
TiVo needs access to the Internet so you will need Grande Starter Internet service or higher and a home network.
What is the size of the hard drive?
The TiVo Premiere Q (Multi-Room TiVo) has a 500GB hard drive. This can provide up to 70 hours of HD programming or up to 600 hours of standard definition programming. The TiVo Premiere has a 320GB hard drive and provides up to 45 hours of HD programming or up to 400 hours of standard definition programming.
Which video output formats does TiVo support?
TiVo supports 720p, 1080i and 1080p.
Cost & Billing
I want TiVo for one TV in my home. How much does TiVo Premiere from Grande cost?
The cost is $12.99 a month on top of your receiver rental. Many of our TV services and bundles include the receiver rental so most customers will only pay $12.99 a month.
I have multiple TV's in my house and want Multi-Room TiVo. How much does TiVo Premiere Q and one additional TiVo Mini from Grande cost?
The cost for a TiVo Premiere Q is $12.99 a month on top of your receiver rental. Many of our TV services and bundles include the receiver rental so most customers will pay $12.99 a month. A TiVo Mini is $9.99 a month.
I want to be able to watch recorded shows on my iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. How much does this cost?
You can watch shows as they are recording or previously recorded shows. You will need to add a TiVo Stream to your TiVo Premiere Q (Multi-Room TiVo). A TiVo Stream is $9.99 a month.
Will charges for TiVo appear on my Grande bill?
If I am not a Grande customer, how do I order TiVo from Grande? To be eligible for TiVo you must sign up for Grande TV and Internet (3Mb minimum) services. Please contact Grande at 1-866-247-8633 to sign up. Our experienced customer support teams are right her in Texas, so you'll always get the answers you need from someone nearby who cares.
If I am currently a Grande customer, can I add TiVo to my account? We would love to help you say hello to TiVo Premiere or TiVo Premiere Q (Multi-Room TiVo). Please give us a shout at 1-866-247-2633 and one of our customer support specialists will review your account and set up everything needed for you to start viewing, searching, recording and enjoying.
Is a deposit required? If you are currently not a Grande customer, when you request new services, we will verify your address is serviceable and we will run a credit check to see if a deposit is required. For existing Grande customers, if you currently do not have any rental equipment with us, or have any history of payment concerns, we will run a credit check.
Do I have to sign a contract? No. If for some reason you move out of our serviceable area or otherwise disconnect your service, there are no disconnect fees. Your TiVo(s) must be returned. Truck roll fee to pick up equipment may apply or you can return at one of our local retail centers.
Set-Up & Installation
How do I set-up TiVo from Grande?
We will set it up for you! When you order either TiVo Premiere or TiVo Premiere Q (Multi-Room TiVo) we will schedule an appointment for one of our experienced technicians to come to your home and set up the service.
If I am a current Grande customer and have a DVR, can I exchange it for TiVo?
Yes, if you would like to switch your Grande DVR to either TiVo Premiere or TiVo Premiere Q (Multi-Room TiVo) please give us a call at 1-866-247-2633. We are happy to switch your service so you can start enjoying a new world of endless entertainment possibilities. Please note there are small price differences between our DVR service and our TiVo services.
If I am a current Grande DVR customer and switch to TiVo Premiere Q (Multi-Room TiVo), can I transfer my recorded shows and recording schedules?
Unfortunately, you cannot transfer recorded shows and recording schedules from your Grande DVR to your new TiVo Premiere Q (Multi-Room TiVo). We have guides on our website to help you set up your personal preferences, searches and events.
iPad,® iPhone,® Android® Phone & Online/Mobile Apps
How can I use my iPad® with my TiVo Premiere or TiVo Premiere Q (Multi-Room TiVo)?
Turn you iPad into command central. Download the free TiVo App for iPad from the Apple App Store and search, browse, schedule and share without interrupting what you're watching. Use it on the couch for a richer TiVo experience. Your iPad turns into the ultimate TiVo companion and takes your TV watching experience to a whole new level. You can be connected to your home network to enjoy this feature, or use the Away mode, that allows you to use a limited set of features in the app when not connected to your home network.
If you connect a TiVo Stream to your TiVo Premiere Q (Multi-Room TiVo), you can watch a show as it's being recorded on your iPad and watch it anywhere in your home (additional monthly charge for TiVo Stream may apply).
Is there an iPhone® App I can download?
Yes, you can download a free TiVo App for iPhone from the Apple App Store. Similar to the iPad App, you can use your iPhone to search, browse, schedule and share without interrupting what you're watching. Now you have your very own pocket-sized TiVo companion. You can be connected to your home network to enjoy this feature, or use the Away mode, that allows you to use a limited set of features in the app when not connected to your home network.
Is there an Android® Phone App I can download?
Yes, you can download a free TiVo App for Android Phones from the Apple App Store. Similar to the iPad and iPhone App, you can use your Android to search, browse, schedule and share without interrupting what you're watching. Use it on the couch for a richer, more in-depth TiVo experience, or stay in touch with your TiVo while you're out to browse and schedule recordings. You can be connected to your home network to enjoy this feature, or use the Away mode, that allows you to use a limited set of features in the app when not connected to your home network.
Can I go online to manage my scheduling and recording?
Yes, you can use your tablet, smartphone or laptop from anywhere to search for shows and schedule recordings away from home. You can go online to mygrande.com/tivo to access online scheduling.
Can I use my smartphone to manage my scheduling and recording?
With TiVo Mobile you can access TV listings and schedule shows to record on your TiVo at home, all from an easy-to-use interface on your web-enabled smartphone. It's easy to start finding shows to record. You can go online to mygrande.com/tivo to access mobile scheduling.
What is TiVo Stream?
TiVo Stream is a transcoding device that seamlessly delivers content stored on your TiVo Premiere Q (Multi-Room TiVo) to alternative viewing devices, such as an iPad, iPhone or iPod touch. TiVo Stream allows for simultaneous watching of recorded content to as many as three devices around the home. You can also download programs to your mobile device for viewing outside the home.
How is TiVo Stream different from other devices?
TiVo Stream is the first device to enable streaming or downloading of recorded shows to multiple portable devices around the home without interrupting what is playing on the TV. It also enables users to transfer shows to their mobile devices for viewing on the go.
Do I need a TiVo in order to use a TiVo Stream?
Yes, you need a TiVo Premiere Q (Multi-Room TiVo) attached to a TV in your home in order for TiVo Stream to work.
Do I need a TiVo Stream for each TiVo that I have in my home?
No, you only need one TiVo Stream even if you have more than one TiVo in your home.
What are the technical requirements for TiVo Stream?
In order to use TiVo Stream you must:
- Have a TiVo Premiere Q (Multi-Room TiVo) connected to a TV in your home.
- Connect the TiVo Stream to your wireless router with an Ethernet cord.
- Wireless router for connecting to your mobile devices.
- A supported mobile device (includes iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch).
Can I download content to my mobile devices and watch it when I am away from home?
You can transfer shows to your mobile device and watch when are away from home. Not all programs may be transferred using TiVo Stream due to the use of copy protection mechanisms permitted under the FCC's encoding rules and the copy protection assigned them by the program provider. These shows usually are marked with a red circle-slash icon.
Can I watch live TV on my mobile device while watching another program on the TV?
You can watch "live TV" with your TiVo Stream, but there is a slight delay to allow for the DVR to first start recording the show. The DVR must record the show so it can then send the recorded show to your mobile device. You can catch up to the "live" show by fast forwarding.
Why does the DVR start recording when I try to watch a live show?
To watch a "live" program the TiVo Premiere Q (Multi-Room TiVo) must first start to record the show on the hard drive. This may results in a slight delay of the show. You can catch up to the "live" time by fast forwarding this show.
What devices can I stream recorded TiVo content from TiVo Stream?
You can access content via an iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch with iOS version 5.1 or later. Support for Android tablets and phones will be coming soon.
Can I watch a show on my mobile device while I am recording it on my TiVo Premiere Q (Multi-Room TiVo)?
Yes, you can watch a show on a mobile device as it is recording.
How many shows can I watch with TiVo Stream?
You can watch up to four shows simultaneously on four mobile devices in your home. However, you will need two TiVo Premiere Q's (Multi-Room TiVo) to support four streams. One TiVo Premiere Q will support up to three streams. Watching four shows simultaneously also depends on the bitrate of the source recordings. For example, you may have difficulties streaming four high bitrate HD programs at the same time.
Will there be parental controls similar to TiVo's TV interface for Stream content?
No. Currently, the TiVo Stream does not recognize TiVo's parental controls. Therefore, it is possible for a minor to stream a show from a TiVo that was restricted by parental controls. It is up to adults to monitor a child's viewing of TiVo recordings on mobile devices just as they would for any Internet video content. We recommend putting a password on the mobile device itself.
How so I set up my TiVo Stream?
Click here for instructions.
How do I activate or deactivate a TiVo Stream?
Click here for instructions.
I already have TiVo Stream. Can I use it with my Grande service?
Yes, you can use your TiVo Stream with Grande's TiVo Premiere Q (MultiRoom TiVo). Please give us a shout at 1-866-247-2633 and one of our customer support specialists will review your account and set up your TiVo Stream.
Can I use my Grande TiVo Stream on non-Grande TiVo Premiere Q's?
No. TiVo Stream sold/provided by Grande are designed to only work with the TiVo Premiere Q's also provided by Grande. They will not work with TiVo Premiere Q's that are purchased in a store or provided by another cable company.
How much does a TiVo Stream cost?
A TiVo Stream is $9.99 a month. Charges will appear on your monthly Grande bill.
Are TiVo Stream's included with the Get it All Bundles?
If you select either the Advantage or Premier Bundle, you can select a TiVo Mini or TiVo Stream as your additional receiver(s). For example, with the Advantage Bundle, you can select either the TiVo Mini or the TiVo Stream. With the Premier Bundle, you can select two TiVo Minis, or one TiVo Mini and one TiVo Stream.
Services subject to availability and may not be available in all areas. Customer must be on the Grande Network for TiVo Stream to operate. Please contact Grande for details.
* Multi-Room TiVo and service subscription required and sold separately. TiVo Stream is sold separately and can be ordered for an additional fee. MoCA or Ethernet connection required. iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch running iOS5.1 or later required and sold separately. One Multi-Room TiVo is capable of streaming up to three shows at once. Two Multi-Room Tivo's required to stream four shows simultaneously. Ability to stream multiple shows is also dependent on factors including bit rate, resolution, screen size and available bandwidth. To watch "live TV" a recording must first be initiated and there may be a momentary delay. Not all programs may be transferred using TiVo Stream due to the use of copy protection mechanisms permitted under the FCC's encoding rules. Some shows cannot be transferred due to the copy protection assigned them by the program provider. These shows usually are marked with a red circle-slash icon (47 C.F.R. 76.1904). TiVo Stream devices sold/provide by Grande will only work with TiVo Premiere's that are also provided by Grande. They will not work on non-Grande TiVo Premiere's.